Friday, August 29, 2003

Salsa

Today was a pretty good day. Our CEO let us out of work a little early both because we had some good sales news and to enjoy the three day weekend. I spent yesterday afternoon getting VMware workstation up and running on my Windows XP machine running a Mandrake Linux 9.1 virtual machine inside of it. I constantly have the need to run some Linux tools and do some Linux development, etc. at home but I also have a need to run Windows all of the time and don't have an extra computer to spare.

I had some problems getting the network interface up and running within VMware and Mandrake and after some internet searching found that this article from VMware that made me add the line "MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes" to my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth[n] file where ifcfg-eth0 was my interface. Also, I read that Mandrake had some problems detecting the correct network card and I followed the directions here even though they were for Mandrake 7.2 to get things working. I'm actually not sure they did anything because I made both networking changes at the same time, and after selecting the network card the directions mentioned it seemed to find the same network card again after probing the interface. Maybe it helped, I'm not sure. I hope it helps you!

I just finished making some hot salsa from a recipe I got from a good friend of mine's Mom who's from Mexico. It's relatively simple to make although I screwed it up the first time pretty badly. Here's the hot salsa recipe:

Lupe's hot salsa recipe:

8 Jalapeno peppers
8 yellow chilis (they look like yellow jalapenos)
3 steak tomatoes (not hothouse if you can help it. steak tomatoes are just big tomatoes, you can also substitute some smaller vine ripened tomatoes, etc.)
2 cloves garlic
16 os tomato sauce

Blacken/roast the peppers and tomatoes in a skillet you don't mind charring a bit, or on a BBQ (I grilled mine on a gas BBQ). Make sure to cook them all whole (don't cut them up). Set them all aside. Now in a blender, blend the tomato sauce and the garlic until well blended. Remove the stems and add the yellow chilis, blend, then the jalapenos, blend, and lastly the tomatoes. You don't need to liquify the last three ingredients you can leave them a little chunky, just blend until they seem to have been chopped up and stop.

The first time I made this recipe I wasn't sure how to blacken the ingredients and I decided that I needed to cut them all up. Well, it made a bit of a mess and I didn't manage to blacken much of anything except for my skillet. Since they were chopped up, the tomatoes liquid kept boiling off and preventing everything else from getting blackened. The second time I made the salsa it was much better. It is pretty hot though so if you want it a bit milder try cutting down on the number of peppers.

Well, that's about it for now. I'm outta here.