Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Smartphones and the Audiovox SMT 5600

I just ordered the Audiovox SMT 5600 from AT&T Wireless last night after playing with it in a store in San Mateo for around 30 minutes.

I've been looking at phones for most of the last year in preparation for buying a new phone. I've had the same Nokia TDMA phone for the last 5 years with the same battery (which still works great) but I have been dying for a camera phone with voice recording capabilities. I had been waiting for Nokia because I really liked their older products and wanted to get the 6230 for a while now but after reading more about it I wasn't that impressed with what it offered and decided on a phone with even more.

I had been eyeing some of the new Sony Ericsson phones but they didn't quite have the combination of features I was looking for (The K700i didn't have expandable memory and I didn't really like the S700i flip out, not to mention that neither of them was yet offered by one of my carriers or had the 850Mhz band covered) . I wanted something small and in a candy bar form factor and that's where I ran into the Audiovox SMT 5600. I had read about it as the C500 in Europe offered through Orange, but I didn't realize that it was coming to the states as soon as it did until I ran into it at an AT&T wireless store yesterday.

The form factor and size is great. The 5-way navigation is a little different than other phones and takes a minute to get used to, but sort of acts a bit like a scroll wheel that you can't scroll very far which works out well for a Windows Mobile device.

I thought that the UI was reasonable but had a few usability issues that I hope get better and I hope that they release updated firmware for the device as time goes on as well.

Another thing that I wanted was quick access to the camera and voice recording both of which I plan on using a lot. This phone has a dedicated camera button and if you hold the volume up button down it switches automatically to voice note taking mode which is great.

I just ordered the phone and am expecting it in the mail soon so I may have more to write about once I actually use it for a real amount of time but I'm pretty excited about Pocket Outlook and some simple web browsing capabilities as well. I got the unlimited data plan for a year so that I can see what I think about using the web through the phone without worrying about bytes sent/received which I think could be a real money sink.

Anway, that's about it for now, now back to watching election results!!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice site!
[url=http://qgnhsqfp.com/vgzv/esil.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://mlbhlslu.com/obtd/wyep.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Nice site!
My homepage | Please visit

Anonymous said...

Well done!
http://qgnhsqfp.com/vgzv/esil.html | http://sigkbhrg.com/unth/uqgp.html

Anonymous said...

Good post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.