Monday, November 08, 2004

The Midwest Voter


I was reading an article in the SF Chronicle this morning about understanding the Midwest and the way it voted and something about the article really resonated with me. I've noticed people in the Bay Area making blanket statements about that area of the country and doing just as bad a job stereotyping them as people here fear that the midwesterners stereotype us as a groups of ultra-liberals. I don't like stereotyping, and I don't think that you can really understand people from other places until you've been there and experienced it, and I don't feel that until you've been there that you earn the right to stereotype. It may not be because they are evangelical Christians or uber-conservatives that they voted for Bush, maybe some of them just wanted someone they felt they could trust and that they felt a connection with. Of course, I don't personally think that is a good enough reason to have voted for Bush, but my point isn't about who voted for who but the fact that I don't appreciate the blatant grouping and stereotyping that I notice people in the Bay Area often getting into. Read the SF Chronicle article!

No comments: