Thursday, December 09, 2004

Scaphoid Fracture

Scaphoid injury



I hurt my right wrist in a soccer game a little over a week ago and visited a doctor today because the pain hasn't been getting any better. There was only a little bit of initial swelling on the top of my wrist and not much bruising following the injury so I had hoped it was just a mild sprain. Unfortunately it seems less likely to be the case things haven't gotten better and there is acute pain only in the "snuffbox" area on the left side of the right wrist when applying pressure or with certain movements which the doctor felt seemed most likely to point to a scaphoid fracture.

At the doctors today I had 3 x-rays taken which didn't conclusively show a fracture, which is apparently a common occurrence with a scaphoid/navicular wrist fracture. Apparently it can take a few weeks for re-absorption at the area of injury to occur before the fracture will appear in x-rays. Even then a secondary test such as an MRI or bone scan may be needed to detect the problem.

If not treated soon it can lead to bad arthritis, bone necrosis, and more, and can require surgery and bone grafts if it doesn't join back together and heal well. Typical treatment involves a short or long arm cast with thumb also in a cast for 2 to 6 months with a full arm cast for only 5 to 6 weeks of that if used.

I sure hope this isn't the problem but it seems likely at this point. I have another doctors appointment next Thursday when I should hopefully find out more. For those of you interested in the problem, here are some decent websites with more information on Scaphoid fractures:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, that sucks! I'd go with the full arm cast. It will get you back out there quicker, and its pretty hot with the ladies. Not that you need to worry about that any more. One question: will you be able to play xbox with a full arm cast. More importantly, how do you take a pee?

Nick Woods said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nick Woods said...

So true! I'm sure I'll find a way to play XBox, but you'd be surprised at how tricky it can be to deal with business in the bathroom--I'll manage!

Andrew P. Gutow, M.D. said...

Please keep the story of your fracture updated, I am collecting links to narratives from the patients point of view regarding scaphoid fractures on my Blog Scaphoid.blogspot.com.

For nondisplaced fractures which are hard to diagnose the literature does not support a benefit to use of Long arm casting Harris Gelman's study from LAC/USC not withstanding.

For non high level athletes percutaneous fixation of MRI detected fractures is usually not necessary.